26 January 2009

intercambios

I'm finally getting to be able to use some of my Spanish skills. The Spaniards are all pretty much done with finals and are starting up with their spring classes soon (or have already started them. I'm not sure that I really understand very well the Spanish University education system). Point is, that students are coming out of their study holes to come hang out at En Vivo, the CMF campus ministry here at University of Salamanca.
Last week, we hosted a finals breakfast type of event where we offered free pancakes and coffee to any and all hungry (or exhausted) university students seeking a break from studying. It was a really cool event for me because I ended up talking with one Spanish girl for about an hour! It was cool to run the gamut of conversation topics, and understand and be understood. I also got to join in on other conversations with some students who had never been to En Vivo before. Hopefully, they'll feel good about coming to one of the weekly events hosted by the ministry, and that we'll be able to build awesome friendships with some really cool Spanish students.
This weekend, Meredith and I were able to go on a day trip to Toledo. Toledo was beautiful,and we had beautiful weather (sunny, and up to 21 Celsius, although windy....). There was a lot of history in the city, it's where the painter El Greco lived when he moved to Spain. There was also a lot of patronage from the Royal family in the past, so the cathedral and monastery are gorgeous, and filled with extravagant symbolism that was mind-blowing to look at. Toledo is located in the province of Castilla y La Mancha, of Don Quixote fame. Meredith had the amazing idea to walk a bit out from the Plaza Mayor after our lunch break, and we ended up getting a fabulous view of La Mancha (the countryside). It was really cool to think that we were standing in some of the same places that inspired famous painters like El Greco and writers like Miguel de Cervantes.
This coming week, myself and all the other exchange students will be starting up our intercambios. An intercambio is a language partner, where they will help me speak better Spanish, and I will help them out with their English skills, all over coffee! Really, what could be better? Intercambios are also an important outreach tool for the En Vivo ministry, so I would really appreciate your prayers over my intercambio partners; that they would be willing to visit the campus house and get to know some of the amazing Spaniards and Americans that run the ministry.

No comments: