12 February 2009

A little piece of home



To start this, I just want to say thanks to all of you who have given me any mail or other encouraging comment on facebook, etc. from home. That's an awesome piece of home-- just knowing that people care. To also go along with the title of this blog, I (well, all of the exchange students, I think) are starting to feel a little bit like Salamanca and En Vivo are home. Well, home until May, at least. Things are starting to become normal, and life's less and less unfamiliar. We now know that the grocery store has 2 floors, and even what we can buy on each floor. We even found a fresh market really close to our house that sells fresh meats, fruits, and veggies. We now know that our hot water heater cannot do 2 things at once, or even close after one another. We also know that it's not a good idea to leave clothes on the clothesline unattended-- even if it doesn't look like it will rain (because snow can and will come even when it looks sunny...). Today was actually the first time I have succeeded in drying my clothes on the clothesline, actually)

Before I came to Spain, I had always heard that Spaniards are generally reluctant to go out of their comfort zones-- mix social groups, try something new, etc. That's still what a lot of people say, I've heard it from my Spanish professors, former exchange students, and even some of the permanent En Vivo team. However, I feel like I've met quite a few people at the En Vivo campus house that came only because they saw a flyer in their residence hall or facultad building (school building divided up by major). These unexpected visitors are even some of my favorites to talk to! The Lord truly does work in mysterious ways!


As is traditional, here are some differences between my Spanish home and American home:

  1. Yogurt is an acceptable dessert, especially for lunches.

  2. When you go to the store to buy milk and eggs, neither are refrigerated. The milk is pasturized differently, and eggs don't actually have to be refrigerated for short periods of time. That's probably how they keep prices low-- by eliminating the refrigeration costs.

  3. Sometimes, plane tickets are cheaper than a bus or train ticket to the same destination. Weird...

No comments: