07 March 2009

hacer galletas

My job at En Vivo is to make cookies for Tertulia (our lunch and chat event). Every week, I get a different student to help me out, hang out, and just talk. It's usually one of my favorite parts of the week. Since this is my job, though, I have learned a lot about the Spanish attitude towards cooking.
Spaniards typically live with their parents until they get married, because it's much more common to go to the university in your home town than it is in the states. Because of this, there are very few students that know how to cook. And there are even fewer that know how to make cookies or pastries. I think that this is because there are loads of pastry shops within walking distance, so no one has to learn how to make things like that.
Also, the culture here is much less focused on having a lot of friends over to your house for dinner. Everyone lives in small apartments, so there's not much room. For students, it's much more common for everyone to go out for a round of drinks at a bar and then go dancing. (This is what they do every night...). I think that this is one of the times that Americans do it better-- of having loads of people over to your house to hang out.

Also, in the life of En Vivo, our big Spring Retreat is coming up next weekend! I'm really excited about it, and we would definitely appreciate your prayers for this big event!

No comments: